Sunday, March 02, 2008

Pecola

A little Canada-Special..

Pecola
Dat Hoang E.P. (Splipped Disc/Skull Geek Records, 1997)

Canada's a fun little country. It's an America that is happy to show and refer to its mostly European heritage. It seems that Canadians are much more aware of their Scottish, French, Irish or Czech roots, and it's pretty damn cute. And then there's the post-codes of course, a system that comes straight from the Royal Mail in Britain. It's fantastic. Now, if they just stopped clubbing the shit out of seals, that'd be grand.

This band here, Pecola, is a band I saw in Toronto in 1997, at a place called El Mocambo, and they appeared to be quite the thing in Toronto at the time. I got their Dat Hoang E.P., which is a great record. For me it came out of nowhere and gave me a pretty unique inside-look into local Canadian bands. I would have never heard about Pecola otherwise.

They were very typical of the type of indie/emo/etc. I would have liked at the time - very math-rock, very Donut Friends, but still kind of melodic. Does that make sense? To some it will. Incidentally I saw Harriet The Spy while I was in Canada as well, at Who's Emma.

Two songs, the best ones off their record. I'm sorry I don't know more about them, but if you google that EP you can find more songs, and they also have a myspace-profile you can check out. If you have more info on what happened to those guys, please add it.

Incidentally, I tried to add as many "ou"-sounds in this text, but failed miserably.

mp3: Pecola - Autostalk
mp3: Pecola - Class XXX

pecola_dat_hoang_cover
click for bigger

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pecola discography: http://www.divshare.com/download/996800-ce6

toward the end of the band they started to embrace a more blues-rock aesthetic, increasingly abandoning the math-rock tactics they started out with.
members of the band are continuing the blues-rock love, playing in these bands:
http://www.myspace.com/catlmusic
http://www.nonozero.com/listen.html

11/4/08 22:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks david!

17/8/08 18:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home